Zero percent bounce rate on for well over a month

Saturday, June 22nd, 2013

Zero percent bounce rate in google analytics


And the small notch you see at the end (right side) was done by me! Just went and bounced off a page, to make sure its not broken!

How to build a Business-to-Business Website – Step 01: Define your customer

Monday, July 9th, 2012

This post talks about the first of a 4 step process that we followed before we designed our marketing website. By marketing website, I mean the pre-login pages.


4 steps to building a B2B website

What followed, after going through this process, was a strategy that gave us direction on content, navigation and other key aspects of the website. Prior to this process, we used to start with the template or the design and everything else followed thereafter. After repeatedly failing there, we all sat down with a whiteboard and went about defining what we needed to do.

Define who is this website catering to? Who are you selling to?

This is perhaps the most important question that you must answer before you start anything at all.

We defined our website visitors in 4 broad categories -

  1. Browsers – Someone who just stumbled upon your website. Saw a link and clicked.
  2. Researchers – Someone who is interested in knowing about your product but does not intend to buy. Investor, Media, Competition, Consultants.
  3. Evaluators – Someone who is interested in your offering and intends to buy. A Prospect.
  4. Buyers – Someone who has evaluated and decided and now intends to buy.

The next thing we defined was what do these guys need and what were the turn-ons and turn-offs of each one of these site visitors. What’s extremely important to note is that every one of your visitors actually wears all of these hats, so a researcher is also a browser albeit at a subordinate level.

The Browser

  1. The browser is turned on by aesthetics, something eye-catching or beautiful.
  2. He is looking for something familiar otherwise he’ll buckle out.
  3. Prefers you to handhold him through your website without asking too many questions.
  4. Needs – nothing specific
  5. Hates clutter

The Researcher

  1. Wants to know more about you and your product. What all are you offering, at what price, what’s the differentiator etc
  2. Would still go and browse through every single page even if its not beautiful, or fancy.
  3. Likes direct pointers – to pricing page, to products, the team etc
  4. Hates low content, incomplete websites or errors.

The Evaluator

  1. Wants to know how will your product or service fulfill his/her need.
  2. Wants to know if you are reliable and trustworthy.
  3. Wants to know if there is a better deal than what you are offering,
  4. Needs quick access to information; hates lengthy navigation.
  5. Loses trust if your app fails.

The Buyer

  1. Likes quick closure and fewer transactions
  2. Wants to know what’s next and what should be he expect
  3. Hates surprises

Now that we had safely categorized our visitors, we realized one thing – Until now we had always been developing the website for the browser. We had always prioritized how it looked and how eye catching it must be over everything else.

So who do we focus on?

To be able to prioritize our visitors, we went about evaluating what is important for us at our current stage. Cash flows? Brand? Number of users?

The stage of your business would probably be the most significant determinant of your priority. Not cash rich? Go after the buyer/evaluator. Looking for investments? Suck up to the researcher demands.

Besides stage, your product, market and transaction length are also going to determine how much you pander your evaluators, buyers and browsers. If your product is such that too many people are involved in the decision, browsers become important. Need to get the form filled before your can sell; buyer inches up.

The startup stage

My recommended values would be to put 75% focus on evaluator needs and distribute the rest of 25% between the buyer, browser and researcher.

The Next Steps

And now that we had established we want to go after the evaluator, the next step was to define how are we going to do that. That’s step 02: Content strategy followed by Step 03: navigation strategy and finally step 04: analytics strategy

Am still working on a detailed post on each one of them so they should come out shortly.

Also here is a presentation that summarizes this post.